The sins of the Preachers in America.
The other day I was reading the March/April 2011 edition of the Baptist Bread, and I came across an interesting article. It was actually the 4th and 5th part of a 7-part series titled “How Not To Reap What You’ve Sown” written by Dr. Tim Green.
I’m going to post parts 4 and 5 for you to read below…
“For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in they sight.” ~ Psalm 51:3-4a
In April of 1984, there was a conference in Atlanta, Georgia. It was a prayer and fasting convocation, and they made up the following list at the conclusion of the meeting. It was entitled “The Sins of the Preachers of America.” It is quite convicting:
- Exalted the laws of man above the laws of God and Christ’s lordship.
- Failed to apply the Word of God to all walks of life. Preached without making practical application to the home, church, and society; the equaling half truths, which equal another gospel.
- Pride, an unholy emphasis on academic status, ministerial accomplishments and peer associations. (We need not know key men if we know the Keeper of the keys!)
- Striven in the flesh and failed to appropriate God’s power, adopting humanistic, worldly, pragmatic methods.
- Grieved the Holy Spirit by an inordinate emphasis on buildings, attendance, seeming success, and using selfish, entertaining, and compromising media.
- Frivolous spirit toward worldly entertainment, amusements, and sports in our lives.
- Violated God’s laws on personal debt.
- Selfishness, becoming “tunnel-visioned” regarding our “own” ministries.
- Sinned by silence – not crying out against “popular” sins.
- Failed to exercise biblical holiness in every area of our lives and requiring the same from our members.
- Our silence regarding immorality, abortion, and sodomy that has brought our nation to the brink of God’s judgment.
- Failed to cry out against socialism and welfare that has produced an over-taxed and lazy nation.
- Sinned by accepting government subsidies.
- Neglected our wives and children in order to build “our” ministries; thus, allowing the influence of worldly, satanic Hollywood to capture the minds of our families.
- Sinned by sowing discord, gossiping, slander, libel, and the “poison pen” in our periodicals.
Friends, we have sinned as a people, as a church member, as a leader by our failure to acknowledge, confess, forsake, and repent of our sins. The only safe, sound direction to go is to our knees and on our faces before our Holy God. We must denounce the unfruitful works of darkness in our lives. We must destroy the idols we’ve hidden in our hearts. We must confess fully and completely the folly of our ways. We must forsake the wicked ways that have laid down, deep-trodden paths that others are vainly following. We must return to the God of our fathers, the faith of our mothers, and the God of the Bible. We must retrace our steps and get back to basics and the main, tried, and true road to righteousness. O may God hear our earnest prayer and answer with revival.
Remember: “If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heave, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.” ~ II Chronicles 7:14
What are your thoughts?
Is there anything you would add to the list of sins above?